Perhaps I'm starting off with a post that might touch some nerves out there, but it affects GD&D's and is worth the commentary. Last week, the State of California decided that marriage was NOT a fundamental human right, which ultimately blocks the right for gay and lesbian couples to 'marry' or enter into a civil contract.
From what I've researched there is a basis (Supreme Court - Civil Rights) for the support of gay and lesbian couples to marry from as far back as 1967. However, the key element in this Supreme Court decision was to address the marriage between a white man and a black woman.
The court's final ruling was clear;
'Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discriminations. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State. '
Growing up I didn't know anyone who was gay or at least didn't REALIZE if I knew anyone that was gay? It wasn't until I was 19 and out at a bar with a friend, when I was first approached by a young gay 'guy' who wanted to buy me a drink! I remember distinctly pausing for a moment and trying to figure out what I thought of this scenario? I initially wished it was a sexy, busty, blond...BUT, for the moment, I actually felt flattered and kindly declined. The 'guy' smiled and continued chatting with his group of friends. It was at that moment that I realized I was open minded and actually felt proud (pardon the pun) about the way I handled it.
Now, 20 years later, I have many gay friends...some are CEO's, lawyers, teachers, but what I'm most proud of, is that they are all incredible people and all are great friends! Which brings me to the simple question of; How do I have rights that they don't?
To those in California or any other discriminatory state, I'd like to ask you how one man (straight man) can decide on how another "man" should live? It's as simple as two neighbours which happen to be great friends, until one day the gay neighbour shares his news that he's getting married and the other neighbour says, that's not acceptable/illegal, etc???!!! How does that one man's beliefs trump that of another? It's a sad reality and proves that it's a civil right and not something to be decided by Church or State. The day this is explained to me, is the day I'll "eat my hat", as they say!
GDD
No comments:
Post a Comment